You may have seen the Creative Commons graphic and notification at the bottom of pages on The Schumin Web. Original content on The Schumin Web is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States license. In a nutshell, this means:
- You may reuse the content found on this site via derivative works, including for commercial purposes, without receiving explicit permission.
- You may remix, adapt, or otherwise build on the content found here as you need, including for commercial purposes, without receiving explicit permission.
This permission, however, is pursuant to the following conditions:
- You must provide attribution. My preferred attribution is “Ben Schumin/The Schumin Web” (preferably with a link to www.schuminweb.com). However, in your attribution, you must not provide it in such a way to indicate that the appearance of content from The Schumin Web in your derivative work constitutes an approval or endorsement of the work.
- If you alter, modify, or build on content found here, you must distribute the derivative work under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States license, or under another free license whose terms are compatible with the license I have provided.
This permission extends to content that I have posted on my YouTube channel, much of which is linked on The Schumin Web. Please note, however, that The Schumin Web‘s logo, as well as the logos of related sites, are not covered under this license, and may not be used without permission, except as provided under fair use.
The following are my suggestions regarding best practices for reusing material from The Schumin Web.
Unless otherwise noted, I own all original content on The Schumin Web free and clear. With the exception of the site’s logo, you do NOT need explicit permission to reuse original content from The Schumin Web when you follow the terms of the provided license. However, though it is not required, I would appreciate it if you would contact me to notify me that you are using content from The Schumin Web in your own derivative work. I love seeing where my materials end up, so please do send me a link to your derivative work. If it is not available online, let me know how I can obtain a copy for my personal collection.
Higher resolution images and videos
For most images on my site, the image is also available for download at full resolution. Higher resolution images are displayed in a digital lightbox, reached by clicking on a lower resolution image. While the image displayed in the lightbox is resized for screen display, the lightboxes also contain a link to download the image at full resolution in the lower left corner.
For videos, I maintain the original, unprocessed video files in my personal collection off of the site. If you want a copy of an unprocessed video file, please contact me, providing the specific URL of the content, either on The Schumin Web or YouTube, and I will either provide you with a link to a location to download the content, or send it to you as an emailed attachment, depending on size.
Original images on my site are of the following maximum resolutions based on when they were photographed (not necessarily when they were published):
- 640 x 480: June 2000 – November 2002
- 2272 x 1704: November 2002 – March 2008 (“Big Mavica” era)
- 2816 x 2112: March 2008 – present (“Duckie” – images made with Duckie are usually explicitly referred to as being from Duckie)
- 3648 x 2736: May 2008 – present
Note, however, that the photos as they appear on the site may be subject to cropping and retouching, and therefore may not be available in full resolution as they appear on the site (but I’ll gladly send you the original if you ask).
All images are in JPEG format.
Videos are generally available in the following resolutions based on when they were shot:
- 320 x 240: November 2002 – present (all videos to March 2008 in MPEG format, and Duckie videos March 2008 – present in AVI format)
- 640 x 480: May 2008 – Present (QuickTime MOV)
- 1280 x 720: December 2008 – February 2009 (QuickTime MOV)
All video clips original to The Schumin Web are raw clips, and are not edited before publication.
If you have any questions about any of this, or to negotiate alternate licensing terms to better suit your needs, please contact me to discuss.